How do I remove my child’s name from the school roll in a mainstream school?

If you wish to home educate, you can de-register your child with the following letter.

Please learn more about the law surrounding the de-registration process:

If your child attends a mainstream school.

Depending on your relationship with the school, you may wish to personalise it more, it is completely your decision, no more than this is needed in order to deregister. Special units within a school, and PRUs are not classed as special school. Please note after you send in this letter, you will be electively home educating, the school then has to remove your child’s name from the school roll upon receiving written notification. It is the school’s responsibility to inform the LA your child is no longer on the school roll, not yours.

(Your address here)

(School Address here)

Dear Sir/Madam

Re: (child’s name & date of birth)

After careful consideration I/we have decided to withdraw my/our son/daughter from school in order to take personal responsibility for his/her education. Please delete her name from the register in accordance with Education (Pupil Registration) Regulation 8(1)(d) 2006 (amended 2016), as s/he is now receiving education otherwise than at school.

Please will you confirm receipt of this letter and inform us of the date that our son/daughter’s name was removed from the register.

Yours sincerely.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s